Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sometimes there are tears.

Well it's not all giggles all the time.  Sometimes there are tears.  Yesterday I called my husband (THE best husband anyone could ask for, might I add) in tears after hanging up the phone with the company making Kilah's first AFO and shoe lift.  I had no idea what to expect and was socked to hear that an AFO for my tiny little Kia's leg is nearly $1000!!  Apparently we will be paying for that out of pocket because we haven't yet met our deductable.  Money isn't something I usually let bother me but I about fell out of my chair when I heard that number. Once I had my bearings again I called back and told them I would not be purchasing the shoe lift from them.  I have opted to have a local small business start making all of Kilah's shoe lifts because the price is about 80% less.  I asked if my mom, who was already in the area could pick up her shoe.  Later my mom called to explain that when she picked up the shoe, that it already had the lift on it!  Strange.  They had constructed it without my go ahead or payment.  Anyway, after discussing it with the manager they decided to give it to me for free because it was their mistake.  This lifted my spirits a little because it was over $100 for the lift alone.  It was long day of phone calls and insurance issues.  I spent some time reflecting on scripture and praying and felt much better about things when I went to bed (minus a killer tension migraine).

Today was a new day!  I woke up refreshed, headache free and ready to attack the day.  After a "lovely" teeth cleaning at the dentist, and with dinosaur cupcakes in tote, Kilah and I went to celebrate my nephew, Tristan's, 5th birthday.



When we arrived at my mom's house for the little birthday lunch/party.  My mom gave me the "free" shoe lift.  Right now I'm very angry.  I'm very glad that I didn't pay anything for it and I'm pretty sure it's a good thing that my mom picked it up and not me.  I'll post a picture.  We are still waiting on AFO.  Kilah can't wear the shoe lift without it.  Her lift is too tall and if she looses her balance and falls she could break her ankle.  Anyway, here we are a month later and still... no where.  ugh.  I will post a picture or two so that those of you who have dealt with shoe lifts can tell me what you think.




Thanks for reading.  Sometime's you just need to vent.  :)  I know God's got this.  I'm not worried.  I just don't like to be taken advantage of.


8 comments:

  1. I worked with a lady that wore one but she wore "old lady" shoes and the lift and sole was one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Darci. I definitely feel your frustration. We've been trying to get a stander for Thomas for months now and just got another call today that insurance is not happy with the vendor that we picked and wants us to use a different provider before they will "consider" approval. It's a long road some days. I have to take the time to remind myself that there was a time (not that long ago!) where children who were different physically had very few options and we are blessed with what is available to us. It's easier to remember that on days where we aren't paying $1,000 for orthotics, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. This really DID help yesterday. I was fuming about the shoe lift and I took it out on the vacuum cleaner. :) However, while I was vacuuming your comment began to take hold in my heart. You're so right! Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Darci,
    It sounds like alot of the same issues that I had with Sara. Have you ever considered the Shriners. They were wonderful we never paid for anything and Saras shoes and Braces were all covered. Sara Graduated from College in the field to make lifts and braces. But she cant find a job around here. Is it a special Dr that she sees. Shriners really is great....Just a thought...Love and lots of prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, Thanks for the suggestion. Did Sara go to Chicago? What was her diagnoses? Did she have Fibular Hemimelia too? One thing that I heard about Shriners is that she wouldn't see the same doctor throughout her treatments. Is that true?

      Delete
  4. Yes, that shoe lift does not look right. I think my husband posted to you on facebook on the fh board a picture of our son's shoe with a lift on it. As for the AFO, earlier this year we got new insurance and the place we usually have my son's AFO's made was not in network with our insurance so we were going to have to pay the $1000 out of pocket as well, but if we could find a place that was in network we would only have to pay 20% of that. However we couldn't find a single place around here that was in network. My husband spent all day on the phone with our insurance trying to find a solution to this. They finally managed to find us a place that wasn't too far away that was in network and they ended up paying 100% of it, praise the Lord. It's ridiculous though that we have a pretty common insurance which will pay 80% of the cost of an AFO and of all the places around here that make AFO's none of them take it. How is the hunt going for a new doctor that will take your insurance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jenny. Yes, I saw your husbands posts and I responded. Thanks so much for the input. I haven't had a chance to read up on everyone's blogs yet but I will read yours today. I'm interested to know how old your son is and what doctor you see but I'm assuming it's all on your blog. :) I was considering getting on the phone with the insurance company to see what I can get figured out but I wasn't sure if I could get any further than the place making the AFO. We have opted for the PPO on my hubby's work insurance because we thought it would be a better choice than the HMO considering Kilah's condition. I think once we meet our deductible they pay 10% and there isn't a network to worry about. As far as the doctor search goes, I called Sinai in Baltimore and they take it there. I will be in a live chat this evening with one of the doctors there. We will see how that goes tonight. At this point, I think we will be at least going to have a consult with the doctor out there. Thanks again for all of the info. Please tell your husband too. :) I really appreciate the support. Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darci, I went to Shriner's in Chicago. I would definitely check into that. The shoe lift that you have there is terribly made. I went to school for Orthotics and Prosthetics and it is not suppose to be like that at all. First off the sole of the original shoe should have been cut off and the lift goes between the shoe itself and the sole so there is still gripping on the bottom so she does not fall. I wish I could find a job around here because it is truly my passion. As for the AFO, they are outrageously priced. Because I am too old now I cannot go to Shriner's anymore and the last AFO I had made last year before I started my Lab work in school cost me almost $1000 and I am still paying for it. When I went to Shriner's I had the same doctor most of the time. Dr. Libicki was his name and he was amazing. The things that Shriner's will do for children is unbelievable. It is hard because it's all the way in Chicago but in the long run it will save you so much money. All my AFO's and surgeries were free of charge and the hospital and doctors themselves are outstanding. I cannot say enough about them. If you ever have any questions on anything or need any suggestions just get ahold of me on facebook and I would love to help you out any way that I can. But once you do get an AFO be sure it fits correctly and she is not being pinched anywhere if it is hinged because that can lead to so many more problems. Don't be afraid it pick it apart with the doctor and get all the details that you can and make them understand how it is making her feel because there are usually minor adjustments that can be made easily if they know how it is fitting. Watch for red marks and rubbing on her ankle because that can lead to abrasions and with it being enclosed in plastic can lead to infections. Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete